Technically Speaking, Inc
Designing an Integrated PCI Express System | San Diego, CA
Attending this course will provide students a working knowledge of how to implement a Xilinx PCI Express® core in custom applications. This course offers students hands-on experience with implementing a Xilinx PCI Express system within the customer education reference design. With this experience, users can improve their time to market with the PCIe core design. Various Xilinx PCI Express core products will be enumerated to aid in selecting the proper solution. This course focuses on the AXI streaming interconnect.
- ▪ Introduction to the PCIe Architecture
- ▪ Review of the PCIe Protocol
- ▪ PCIe Core Customization
- ▪ Lab 1: Constructing the PCIe Core
- ▪ Simulating a PCIe System Design
- ▪ Connecting Logic to the Core – AXI Interface
- ▪ Packet Formatting Details
- ▪ Lab 2: Downstream Port Model Simulation
- ▪ Endpoint Application Considerations
- ▪ Lab 3: Pseudo-Transactional Modeling
- ▪ Application Focus: DMA
- ▪ Lab 4: Design Implementation
- ▪ 7 Series Root Port
- ▪ PCIe Configuration
- ▪ Compliance and Debugging
- ▪ Lab 5: Debugging the PCIe Core with the Vivado Logic Analyzer** ▪ Interrupts and Error Management
- ▪ Course Summary
- ▪ Appendix: Mechanicals, Hot Plug, and Power
- ▪ Appendix: 7 Series Gen3 PCIe Core Solutions
- **Will be available in a future release.
Lab 1: Constructing the PCIe Core – This lab familiarizes you with the necessary flow for generating a Xilinx Integrated PCI Express Endpoint core from the IP catalog. You will select appropriate parameters and create the PCIe core used throughout the labs.
Lab 2: Downstream Port Model Simulation – This lab demonstrates how timing and behavior of a typical link negotiation using the Vivado simulator. You will observe and capture the effects of link training and write packets to the endpoint application for later use.
Lab 3: Pseudo-Transactional Modeling – This lab illustrates pseudo-transactional modeling, which provides various packets to the user design without the need to simulate the PCIe cores themselves.
Lab 4: Design Implementation – This lab familiarizes you with all the necessary steps and recommended settings to turn the HDL source to a bitstream.
Lab 5: Debugging the PCIe Core with the Vivado Logic Analyzer – This lab illustrates how to use the Vivado logic analyzer to monitor the behavior of the core and a small endpoint application for proper operation.
* This course focuses on the 7 series architecture. Check with your local Authorized Training Provider for the specifics of the in-class lab board or other customizations.
After completing this comprehensive training, you will have the necessary skills to:
Construct a basic PCIe system by:
- Selecting the appropriate core for your application
- Specifying requirements of an endpoint application
- Connecting this endpoint with the core
- Utilizing FPGA resources to support the core
- Simulating the design
- Identify the advanced capabilities of the PCIe specification protocol and feature set